Monday, January 19, 2009

Historical Days

Hello everyone,
I hope all is well in your world. As I sit here writing this I know that I am bearing witness to History. That goes without saying. Our greatest step forward as a nation towards that grand ideal of a land that promises Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness with equality for all comes to fruition tomorrow with the Inauguration of the 44th President of the United States Barack Obama. This moment, with the first American-of-African Descent to be elected President, was one that I was sure I would witness in my lifetime. I did know it would come so soon in my life.
I have been very lucky to have been raised by parents who taught me to judge people on the content of their characters. I have done my very best to hold fast to that idea in everything that I do. I am very happy right now to have found my calling in life to become an elementary school teacher. I am also very thankful I currently work at a school with students from a very diverse background. I see in their generation the hope and knowledge that while some differences remain between us we all have so much more in common to be thankful for and hopeful for.
That being said tomorrow is another of those days that will forever be in my mind. There have been days great and terrible in this nations history. I mark this day in memory of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. who gave us many great days but arguably none greater than when off the top of his head he delivered one of the greatest adresses in American history when he delivered the "I Have A Dream" speech. I was not around so I don't have a place to remember where I was when it was delivered.
I was alive for one of the most terrible days in this countries history when I witnessed with my father and Uncle Jack the terror that was Sept. 11, 2001. I will never forget being with them and hoping that everyone I knew in New York and Washington were safe. Thankfully most were. I only knew one person who died in the towers, and was lucky that one of my muscial compatriots from high school was not in his office in the Pentagon as he was scheduled to be just a week later.
Tomorrow I hope to be home as there is a snow storm on it's way and I hope it will allow me to witness the entire event live. If not I will be where I am supposed to be and hope to be for a long time at my elementary school job. While I may have to postpone my witnessing of the events for a time it will be more than worth it. My calling is my serving. I intened to serve the communtiy by being the best teacher I can and I shall also serve in other ways as I did to help get President Obama elected.
So here I sit, one more great step on my life's journey, one great day will unfold into another. While we all can not know exactly what the future holds for us, I feel that tomorrow continues the journey towards better days for all of us. This hope will carry us truly in the short term. I hope we all will know how hard we will all have to work to carry this hope forward to the future.
I know we can do it, we already have!

No comments: